229 Washington Street
The mansion, built in 1878, was the home of Olive and Edwin Paddock. The Paddocks were bankers and business entrepreneurs and are considered to be one of the founding families of Watertown.
The home, designed in the Eastlake tradition by architect John Hose, combined Tuscan Villa elements “for him” and Swiss Chalet “for her”. Mrs. Olive Paddock bequeathed the home to the Jefferson County Historical Society in 1922, and it opened as a museum in 1924.
The Society occupies the building with furnished historic rooms, galleries, meeting spaces, curator’s offices and climate controlled archive storage.
The Massey House, Watertown oldest existing dwelling, shares the extensive grounds with the Victorian Garden, Early American Barn, Pioneer Cabin, and One Room School House. Several buggies, built in Watertown by the H. H. Babcock Company are in the collection.
Locals believe the spirit of Olive Paddock still lingers on; figures have been spotted in the bedroom window upstairs, and the front parlor. The Paddock Mansion has become a popular place for local paranormal investigators who have recorded numerous unexplained activity throughout the building.
Exhibits are planned for 2022 after work on the building is completed – the roof irepaired and an elevator installed.
To read more about the mansion go to:
To read more about the Jefferson County Historical Society go to: