James Miller House
154 Ten Eyck Street
“The Miller House was built in 1888 for fine clothing merchant, James R. Miller. There are six fireplaces, three grand chandeliers, a beautiful floor to ceiling mirror, and a library. Located on .76 acres, there is even a hidden speakeasy in the basement. The floors have radiant heating. Six bedrooms, four bathrooms, and 4,872 square feet.”
James R. Miller, a native of Scotland, came to this country in 1866 and has been a resident of Watertown since 1868. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1869, having been honored by them with the position of worshipful master of Watertown Lodge No. 49, and eminent commander of Watertown Commandery No. 11. He was captain commanding Co. C on its organization as a part of the 35th Battalion, N. G. S. N. Y. afterward commissioned lieutenant colonel of the battalion and acted as captain of the Battalion Rifle Team. In 1885 he returned to the service as captain of the 39th Separate Co., retiring finally in 1888. His success as a clothing merchant has been continuous and he now operates one of the finest retail stores in Northern New York.
(Edited from: www.onlinebiographies.info/ny/jeff/miller-jr col.htm)